Essence: A Look Back At The Love Nipsey Hussle and Lauren London Shared
Read article in it’s entirety at Essence.com…
By Jasmine Grant | April 1, 2019
One of the many things fans loved about late rapper and entrepreneur Nipsey Hussle was the way he loved and uplifted his girlfriend of five years, actress Lauren London.
In a recentGQ Magazine interview, London said she sought her future bae out to buy a few copies of his limited edition mixtape Crenshaw, which ran at $100 per copy. They joked about having different versions of how she approached him. Lauren London Speaks at Nipsey Hussle’s MemorialLauren London Speaks at Nipsey Hussle’s Memorial
“I did not slide into his DMs,” she said. “My homeboy did.”
The pair officially met up at his Marathon clothing store in Los Angeles, and the rest, as they say, was history. The pair never confirmed their speculated “engagement,” but did speak openly about raising their 2-year-old son Kross together.
Hussle also has a daughter from a previous relationship, and Lauren has a son with Lil Wayne.
On Sunday, Hussle was shot and killed in front of his store at the age of 33. And as fans mourn the loss and celebrate his life, we take a look back at the love he and London shared.
1. Homies, Lovers, Friends In 2016, after dating for three years, Lauren and Nipsey welcomed a son named Kross Asghedom.
2. Love Always Finds Its Way Back The pair briefly split in November 2017, with Nipsey claiming their focus would be co-parenting.
3. Reunited The couple appeared to have reconciled in February 2018 after appearing together at Nipsey’s private debut album release party.
4. Solid Parents London once told Hollywood Life she’d support their children if ever they chose to follow in her or Nipsey’s footsteps. “I just want them to be happy, well-rounded human beings, so if they wanted to do music or acting or whatever they decided to do that they felt God placed on their heart, I support that.”
5. His Biggest Fan In a ‘Couple’s Quiz’ game, Lauren told us that her favorite song by Nipsey Hussle is ‘ I Don’t Give A F*cc’
6. The Home Team Nipsey and Lauren were huge Lakers fans, often spotted sitting courtside at their teams home games.
7. Main Attraction Lauren said what first attracted her to Nipsey was his height.
8. Always Together All smiles as they arrive at the Los Angeles Premiere Of “Can’t Stop Won’t Stop”
9. Love Always Finds Its Way Back The pair briefly split in November 2017, with Nipsey claiming their focus would be co-parenting.
10. Family First In their joint GQ interview, Nipsey said he fully supported Lauren’s decision to pass on the role she landed on the FX series Snowfall after learning she was pregnant. “I didn’t put any pressure on her for whatever decision she wanted to make,” he told the magazine. “I learned then that what she believes in, she really believes in.”
11. Double Date Nipsey and Lauren posted up with Terrence J and Jasmine Sanders at the Madeworn x Roc96 Pop-Up Event in Los Angeles.
12. Soul Tie Lauren shared this photo on her Instagram page in August 2017 to tribute Nipsey on his birthday, writing, “I love you…. like that deeper than the earth type of shit beyond this flesh type shit… like in Heaven, I’m gonna know your name type shit #bars lol and I’m so happy we went half on a baby”
13. Best Friends As hard as they both worked in their respective careers, Nip and Lauren knew how to have fun together as well.
14. Setting The Record Straight Despite referring to Lauren as his “wife” on her birthday, the pair never confirmed that they’d officially tied the knot. The rapper shut down claims made by TMZ that their GQ spread was an engagement shoot.
15. His Big Night The couple hit the red carpet at this year’s Grammy Awards, where Nipsey’s Victory Lap was nominated for Best Rap Album.
16. Real Love You could tell this was the real deal.